Baked Macaroni is one of the most requested dishes in our family. I cook it without milk due to lactose intolerance of my children, but just the same I can make it turn out to a satisfying and sumptuous dish. Here is my style of cooking it. Please spare the cheese toppings, I was not aware that they ate some of the cheese for breakfast lol.
500 grams or ½ kilo uncooked elbow macaroni
½ kilo ground beef
3 tbsp butter or palm oil for sautéing
1 big tomato, diced
1 onion, diced
2 pcs. green and red bell pepper, diced
Medium sized pouched tomato sauce, add more if needed
½ cup banana catsup
½ teaspoon oregano, dried, crushed,I am using the bottled dried and crushed oregano leaves
1/2 cup water, add more if needed
2 tbsp sugar or more according to taste
Salt and pepper to taste
Mozzarella cheese or quickmelt cheese
½ cup grated cheddar cheese
1. Prepare and cook the elbow macaroni until half tender but not well done, the the macaroni will be fully cooked once baked. Drain, then pour tap water on it to avoid being sticked together
2. Cook the Meat sauce.
3. Heat the pan, put on oil or butter then sauté garlic, onion and tomato, add the ground beef, stir occasionally until the beef is cooked .
4. Add the tomato sauce, banana catsup, grated cheddar cheese and crushed oregano. Slowly add water, making sure the sauce is thick. You may add tomato paste if desired. Stir and Simmer.
5. Season it with salt and pepper to taste. Add sugar and the bell pepper. Continue simmering for another 10 minutes.
6. Set aside some sauce for toppings
7. Combine the cooked macaroni and meat sauce in a baking dish/microwaveable dish then toss until the meat sauce is well mixed and evenly distributed.
8. Pour the remaining sauce on top then spread the mozzarella cheese or grated quickmelt cheese on top of the sauce. I usually use mozarella cheese, but this time i made use of quickmelt cheese
9. In my case I am using a microwave oven to bake it. Preheat microwave oven in medium high settings for 3 minutes.
10. After preheating the oven, put on the dish then bake it for another 10-15 minutes under medium settings in order for the cheese not to get burned
Serve while hot, enjoy the meal!